Friday, November 17, 2006

NEW MINI testdrive ...

Well, I went into the MINI Garage and told them Bob Holden sent me for a test drive. I was lucky enough to have a good chat with Bob at MiniFest 2006 in Hobart the other weekend. I've been thinking about taking a BMW Mini for a comparison drive since their launch years ago to see what's changed in the 29 years since my Clubman was produced. Obviously bigger on the outside, but surprisingly didn't feel much bigger on the inside, probably due to the much thicker door skins which conceal side intrusion bars and airbags. Seats ... mmm leather, comfy, very adjustable and nice. The one I drove was a Supercharged Cooper S, 6 speed manual, hardtop with sunroof and "Cockpit Chrono Package" to drool over, not that I got the chance to look at it much once behind the wheel! Nice driving position, all the switches and gearstick have been move back towards the driver compared the classics, which IS much better. If you've driven a classic you'll know what a pain it is to reach the non-intermittent windscreen wiper switch etc.
Unfortunately I was accompanied by the salesman on the drive, so began somewhat nervously and cautious as we climbed up the twisty Huon Road towards Nieka, getting a feel of this expensive piece of modern machinery. The 1.6 litre supercharged engine was no comparison to my tired old standard 998cc A series engine, lumberd with anti-pollution gear of the mid 70's, so I won't even go there! Glancing down at the speedo on a straight section, I was flabbergasted to discover I was doing 95km/hr (in a 70 zone!) It felt like I was barely on the limit which is in COMPLETE CONTRAST to my Clubman, which struggles to hit 80 on that section when pushed, yet feels like your doing about 100! The BINI was much quiter, even when HEAVY on the gas, steering was pinpoint, suspension nice and firm and smother than the Clubman as you'd expect, AND it stopped!! It cornered really well, but I didn't push it too hard, never once losing traction with Mr Salesman watching me. There's no denying it was nice and fun, even Mini like, but .. while I can't say it was boring .. it was certainly less "challenging" to drive than my old brick, and way easier to get booked for speeding in. If I were to go on LONG drives, I'd prefer the new one, but for shorter twisty squirts, I think I'd still take the 29 year old Clubman over it's younger, podgier cousin. At around $40,000 for a Bini, even if I DID have the money burning a hole in my pocket, me thinks I'd rather "invest" in a classic Cooper S which can presently fetch around $30,000. But I'm just a man of humble means, so now I can stop dreaming and save 1 or 2 K for disc brakes and some turbo charged fluffy dice for the Clubman and I will want no more. Well, a roundie would be nice ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home